Wednesday 1 June 2011

Day 1 Coolangatta to Kingslciff

This is really it! The day has come to walk the walk. And now as I sit here in Kingscliff it's a great feeling to get the first step of the journy out of the way.  Breakfast at Aqua on Marine with family and friends was a wonderful start to the day. Nervous butterflies were out and about but thanks to the boy's barage of brotherly banter making light of the situation, my mind was taken off the enormity of what lay ahead. A 900+km's of solo walking with a 30kg pack on the back. Boots carefully tired it was time to make tracks.



Leaving Coolangatta at 0930 I arrived at Kingscliff at 130pm. Thanks to John and Dad who walked with me for about two thirds of the way the first leg went by quicker than expected. However the last 5km in the mid-day sun were certainly the toughest and it was hard not to think about those in third world countries who have to do this on a daily basis. Trudging on I finally rolled into kingscliff. And I'm not to ashamed to say that I went straight to the pub for a cold beer. Probably not the best rehydration strategy but given the circumstances a more refreshing drink I have not tasted.

After a thirst quenching schooner I checked into Peppers Salt Resort for the night. I certainly wasn't expecting luxurious accomodation like this on my travels but the Kingscliff Rotary Club and Peppers made the arrangments and ensured I was well looked after for my first night. With a many rough camping days ahead of me I savoured those few hours of luxury.  Day 1 of 80 or so down. Pottsville I'll see you tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Well I am starting to re-read your journey from the very first day, I am so proud of you for walking the walk not just talking the talk!!! I think we all should take a leaf out of your book and try to make the world a better place. Thinking of you and the many days still ahead of you!!! Luv Sharon

    ReplyDelete