Tuesday 28 June 2011

Day 29: Coffs Harbour to Bundagen

Apart from enduring a small hangover, inflected at the hands of a good mate who shall go unnamed, the time spent in Coffs was restful and rewarding. Thank you to the patrons of the Coffs Coast Hotel who sacrificed a couple of beers and donated to the Walk Against Want, despite it looking highly likely that yours truly, the bearded hobo, would make a bee line to the nearest bar and wet the whistle with the newly acquired funds. But I can assure you that every last cent of the $85.75 donated from the bar went straight to Oxfam!

The culprit and I on Mutton Bird Island.

Sunrise from Coffs


Anyway the following morning I was back at work and heading south as I usually do towards Bundagen. Arriving at Sawtell, half way between Coffs and Bundagen, I was confronted by a rather large river crossing. With no other organised way of getting myself across I approached members of the Sawtell Surf Club who were completing some IRB training on the day. I was thrilled when all of the crew said they would give me a lift in convoy to south beach. With all of the gear in the high speed rubber ducks we crashed through a line of breakers and speed along the coastline to the drop off point. Safe and sound on the southern beach, albeit a little wet, I was reminded of how lucky we are to have our Surf Lifesavers. Most of the surf members voluntarily give up their time to patrol beach and keep its swimmers safe. Thanks to the legends of the Sawtell surf club for your help. I really do appreciate the lift! And what a way to do it.
Legends of the Sawtell Surf Club.

Now on south beach I began trekking along the Bongil Bongil National Park. And although I spent most of my time at its fringe I could still get a sense of the natural beauty, diversity and uniqueness of this place. Around 11am I made it to Bundagen.

Bundagen is a small cooperative community situated amongst the Bongil Bongil National Park. Although I hadn't originally planned to stay here (I didn't know it existed) I was recommended by a passer by to touch base with the community and stay for the night. Many people would probably call Bundagen a Hippy Commune and infact many people I spoke to on the way had called it just that. As I made my way off the beach and into the community all of the stereotypically hippy images ran through my mind but I really didn't know what to expect. After staying here in the Bundagen community for a night with the amazingly hospitable Bill and Janelle Huxley all of my misconceptions about a Hippy Community quickly faded away.

Bongil Bongil National Park. 10min walk in from the beach is Bundagen.

Here in the community were 180 members, who in 1981, decided to save a 300 hectare parcel of land amongst Bongil Bongil National Park from urban development. The cooperative established a community based on a principal of environmental sustainablity. Bundagen is independent of mains water, sewerage and electricity. Instead members rely on dams and rain-water tanks and use alternative technology, such as solar power and composting toilets. I know how this might sound for those of you who feel you need all your modern luxuries, but I can assure you that with thoughtful planning many members were living completely "normal" lives with all the modern conveniences most of us couldn't do without.

Bill and Janelle's house was built by Bill out of mud brick. The rich burnt orange clay bricks create a very homely earthy feel and also provide fantastic insulation against both the cold and heat. There is no need for an energy hungry air conditioning system here. After staying with Bill and Janelle I am quite certain that this lifestyle, or at least a good part thereof, is the way of the future. No dirty expensive coal power. Rainwater and recycled water help establish lush and productive vegetable gardens. And the surrounding national park provides the perfect setting to walk, explore, relax, and realign your thoughts. Thanks Bill, Janelle, Jamie and Rohjan for the wonderful food, wine and great conversations. Its not perfect, but I really do believe there is much that the broader community could learn from the Bundagen model. And just as the Bundagen Community strongly supports the fight against poverty and social injustice I encourage all of us to continue doing do the same.

If only Anne Frank were right in saying, 'how wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.' We don't have to save the world on our own but if each of us took the time to think about the lives of others and gave a helping hand to those in need the world would certainly be in much better shape.

Don't for get to donate by:
Calling Oxfam Australia on 1800 088 110 and mention my walk or,
Follow this link: http://www.everydayhero.com.au/glen_hammermeister 

No comments:

Post a Comment