Wednesday 29 June 2011

Day 30: Bundagen to Urunga

As I have mentioned many times before, the greatest aspect of the walk is the natural environment that surrounds me. I know I probably sound like a broken record but it really is a captivating space. I never tire of it. Each beach posseses unique and subtle differences to entice and delight your senses. And now in my travels I have come to realise that I'm not the only hopeless romantic who shares this appreciation and perspective.


A white breasted seaeagle. It was so large that while walking along a beach track at first galnce I quite litterally thought it was a hang gilder!

Eventually I made it to the southern most end of the beach where the sand meets the mouth of the Bellinger river. I walked upstream and came across a few older gentlemen making a good start to the days fishing with a few black fish. I felt bad for interrupting a but one bloke was kind enough to give me a lift across to the other side. I set up camp in Urunga caravan park.

Before I put the pen down on another entry, I just wanted to ask if you know where your shoes are manufacturered? What was the cost, to you and to the person who made them? It is well known that most shoe manufacturers particularly those producing athletic shoes make use of sweatshops in third world countries. The International Labor Organisation estimates that 250million children aged between 5 and 14 work in developing countries. Many of these children are forced to work. They are denied an education. Some are threatened and beaten. Sweatshop workers are paid approximately $6 / week. They make shoes which you and I buy for hundreds of dollars. Sweatshop workers may see only $2 or $3 from that pair of shoes you bought.

If we are aware of this gross exploitation of human rights, and yet we still buy these items, are we not responsible for contributing to the problem? As consumers do we have a responsibility to change our purchasing behaviours and demand more from these companies? What right does any person, or company, have to inflict such inhuman conditions on any person? When these things happen to people on foreign shores its easy to forget they are human beings just like you and I. Don't sit back and say its not your problem or its too big of an issue. All you have to do is take a little time to see where your clothing and apparell is produced. Instead of buying the cheap version, and condoning human exploitation, buy the one that may be a little more expensive but protects human rights. Its only a small act but eventually the companies using these sweatshops will get the message. 

For more information check out Oxfam's fight for workers rights. http://www.oxfam.org.au/explore/workers-rights.

Don't forget to donate by:
Calling Oxfam Australia on 1800 088 110 and mention my walk or,
Follow this link: http://www.everydayhero.com.au/glen_hammermeister 

No comments:

Post a Comment