Friday 19 August 2011

Day 80: Manly to Bondi...FINISHED!!!

Wow I can't believe that the last day of the walk has arrived. The time has passed by so quickly that it feels like it was only 3weeks not 3months since I left.

I woke up quite early to make the most of the last day. Weather was ordinary to say the least. I think cyclone Larry has decided to do a John Farnham special and do a comeback tour starting down south. Boy it's windy today!

Skirted the north shore of Sydney in the early hours and although still dark the early morning light did give up a sneak peak at what must be the best harbour in the world. Old man Phillip said so when he found it in 88' and I don't think he was too far wrong.

As day broke I rounded Mosman penninsula and laid eyes on for only the 2nd time in my life the opera house and coat hanger. They looked so close I could almost touch them. This really is it. I'm actually in Sydney I thought to myself. But that was as far as any emotinal thought venured. Well it's more a case of mixed emotions really. On one side of the fence I felt elated to at long last be in sydney and on the other it felt a little sad to have to end this chapter. And although I did cross the finish line with Jane and Charlotte from Sydney's Oxfam team waiting, it doesn't in some respects feel like the end at all, for somewhere in the back of my mind I know there is much more to be done!

But for now this is it. I have finished my Walk Against Want. As much as I would like, I fear it would be impossble for me to try and summarize this long and epic journey right now. But through the highs and lows it has been an amazing experience and one which has raised a few dollars to help those living on the brink.

So if you haven't yet made a donation now is the time to do so! For those who doubted whether I could actually finish this walk you now have your answer. The walk was possible and likewise it's possible for you to make a real and significant difference in the lives of those living in poverty! Your donations and contributions to organisations like Oxfam are as vital as ever before and will litteraly save the lives of those living in the most abhorrent of circumstances. So please, before you do anything else, make a donation by calling Oxfam or follow the details below. Don't use the excuse that you don't haven't any money or your strapped at the moment. Compared to those in Africa right know all of us are living a life of luxury.

Thanks to everyone who has supported me throughtout the walk. There are many people who I should mention but I would undoubtedly miss one of the many out. Thanks to Lisa Hemmings from the Warwick Daily News and the many individuals and businesses from Warwick who got behind me for the walk. And lastly I couldn't have done this without the help and support of Mum and Dad. Thank you so very much to all. Although the walk is over I will keep a couple of more posts coming to keep everyone in the loop as to how the whole fundraising finished up.

So to donate call Oxfam on 1800 088 110 or log onto www.everydayhero.com.au/glen_hammermeister





No comments:

Post a Comment