Friday 8 July 2011

Day 39: Crescent Head to Port Macquarie

A view of Point Plomer from Crescent Head


Encouraged by my efforts on previous days I set myself the challenging goal of walking 36km to Port Macquarie in 9hrs. With 15min breaks every 2hrs I made it to Point Plomer around 1130am.


Point Plomer

To get to the Hastings River at Port Macquarie I followed Pt. Plomer road which ran parallel to the shoreline. Walking in the midday heat with no offering of shade on the beach it made perfect sense to follow the dirt track instead. During this section I probably pushed myself a little too hard because after 12kms I began to feel very nauseous. My body soon forced me to stop and take a break. Lying down with my feet raised I was able to get some blood back to my stomach and not long after I was back on my feet and continuing at a much slower pace. By 2pm I was on the ferry and across the Hastings. By 3 I was checking in to my motel room at the Mantra Quayside Apartments. After contacting 9 different motels in Port Macquarie to seek their support, and being declined by all, I was over the moon when Mark Beal from the Independent newspaper arranged with the Mantra a 2 night complimentary stay for me. After a week of camping and trudging through thick bush the luxurious room I was offered was almost an overwhelming delight. A huge thank you to Leesa and the team for all your help and support during my stay. With this kind of hospitality and support there's no guessing what motel I'll be calling first when I plan my next holiday... The mantra. Thanks guys!!!


The wonderful Quayside staff Leesa and Kristy.


And as my stay in Port Macquarie draws to a close an air of anxiousness hangs over me. This is not a new sensation. I'm struck by this on the eave of every new stage. It comes from the fact that I really don't have any idea about what lays ahead of me for the next week or so. This uncertainty inevitably leads to few butterflies. But as morning comes and I begin packing my bags that nervousness very quickly disappears. After Port Macquarie I'm guessing I'll only experience this sensation twice more. Now a little over half way the next port is Forster and then Newcastle. It's all down hill from here right?


Hastings River
Don't forget to donate by:
Calling Oxfam Australia on 1800 088 110 and mention my walk or,
Follow this link: http://www.everydayhero.com.au/glen_hammermeister 

1 comment:

  1. I have gone to several blog for the same information. I really get what i was looking for. Waiting for your next post to live.

    Port Macquarie Hotels 

    ReplyDelete