Wednesday 20 July 2011

Day 52: Old Bar to Forster

Day 52 hey. the days are ticking by and I'm starting to realise that I'm inching closure to Sydney. I had planned to walk from Old Bar to Black Head today but with a few people offering to help my fundraising efforts I doubled the distance and walked all day until I arrived in Forster. Today was a 28km walk starting at 930am and finishing at 630pm. Before I get on with the details of today's journey I must pay particular respects to Sue and Alan, two warm and hospitalable campers who invited me into their humble caravan and made me breakfast. Porridge and tea. A much more palatable start to the day than dry trail mix! Offers like this really do warm your heart and remind you there are some trully wonderful kind hearted people out there in the world. With a belly full of food I set off for Black Head.
A rather ominous looking start to the day.
 Along the walk I noticed the wild winter weather has made mince meat of the beaches. Several meters of the sand dunes have been chewed away threatening houses and motels stupidly built close to the water. I saw a signs all over town seeking support to build and off shore reef to minimise the erosion. I don't know all the facts but from first glance I find such an approach absolutely ludicrous. Sea has been building and eroding sand dunes for thousands of years on our shores. The beach sands in many places extend several kilometers inland. If people and councils are stupid enough to build houses on moving sands then it is their problem and responsibility for damages incurred.
Severe erosion at Old Bar. Don't build sandcastles in the sky or on sand dunes!
  
Looking North to Old Bar

A view South to Black Head
Deciding to kick on to Forster the weather quickly turned sour. Clouds built up and the rain set in. I walked the last 10km into Forster in pouring rain.
Here comes the rain again!
I can not tell you how glad I was to arrive at the door of the Sevan Apartments. I am so fortunate that Shane and Zoe kindly provided me with four nights complimentary accomodation. My room was a welcomed luxury and Shane and Zoe went above and beyond to look after me during my stay. I really appreciate this kind of support as it would be near impossible for me to complete the journey without it. Thanks to the Sevan Apartments I shall return when I'm next in Forster.

Many thanks to Shane and Zoe from Sevan Apartments!
The journey is nearing its end and I am a very long way from reaching my fundraising target. I have tried valiantly to raise as much money as I can while on the trip and see as many people around the towns I visit. As one person it is very difficult to find the extra time I need to reach anywhere near the target I had hoped. Again I kindly ask for your support if you haven't already done so.

You can donate by following the link:
www.everydayhero.com.au/glen_hammermeister or
By calling Oxfam Australia on 1800 088 110.
Any donation is great or small is sincerely appreciated.

Cheers





No comments:

Post a Comment