Friday 8 July 2011

Day 36: Scotts Head to South West Rocks

I caught the sun greeting the day from one of the Scott's heads and then followed what started out to be a reasonably well defined goat track. The track slowly degraded from the goat track to a series of puddles where feet had once trodden until by the forth headland when any sign of a track had all but disappeared.


Looking north from Scotts Head

Looking south from Scotts Head

Making my own tracks I found sections of shorter grass and headed towards the ridge. Knee high grass quickly turned into waist high kangaroo grass and wooded forest. The ever present thought of snakes slowed my progress but I eventually made it to the top of the headland following what appeared to be a signs of a 4WD track. Through a clearing the canopy I could see the azure blue sea. At this point I was quite pleased with my efforts and assured myself it wouldn't be long before I was standing on clear flat ground again. Man was I wrong. 






The road to golden sands was worse than I expected it be. A series of steep ridges rose from the beach climbing high into the hills where I was tracking. The beach was ever so close and the sound of waves crashing on the shore luered me closer, inviting me to make my way down the nearest ridge and meet the sea once more. Twice I tried hacking my way through a maze of dead banksia, fallen gums and waist high kangaroo grass. In frustration I barged my way through bushes and branches getting flicked in the face as my grip on the branch was released. As difficult as it was, I assured myself the pain would be worth it as this was shortest route to the sand. Not to be. I crossed two scats laden with fur followed soon by a fresh set of entrails. A few sure signs that wild dog or dingo was close. Not long after I caught sight off a female dingo and 2 pups making their way down the ridge where I had planned to go. Before they could catch sight of me I decided it was best to turn around and go the long way round. The only trouble was finding my way back to the ridge line track. 


So close yet so far.


In thick bush it's easy to get lost. As you walk you try to make mental notes of your path and significant sign posts along the way. Things like the species of trees and plants you pass, logs, flowers, rocks were all worth recording. But when you come across so many sign posts that all look alike those notes are easily forgotten. To avoid walking in circles you begin to intensely analyze every detail of sensory information that your eyes take in. Looking for broken branches and twigs, trodden grass, fallen trees rocks with moss or any sign where I had once been. Any feature that might help you identify your location and give some insight into what direction your next choice of step shall be in was important. An hour or so passed and I had made it back to the ridge line that I had started on. 


Beautiful flat sand.




In the midday heat I was swimming in sweat. I thought to myself as soon as I get back onto the beach I'm going to bend down, kiss the sand and thank my lucky stars to be back on safe ground. The trail I was following eventually turned into something more recognizable as a fire trail. The fire trail soon joined a rough 4WD track which then led to a rocky farm road and onto sweet black bitumen. This road took took me to the sand I yearned for. Oh how good it was to be on the sand! From here it was pretty much smooth sailing down to South West Rocks. Thanks to Paul and Gary from Marine Rescue who ferried me across the river. After setting up the Taj Mahal, I kicked back on the rocks with a protein shake and chilled out to a glorious sunset. Despite the bitterly cold conditions I slept pretty well that night!



Sunset over South West Rocks
Don't forget to donate by:
Calling Oxfam Australia on 1800 088 110 and mention my walk or,
Follow this link: http://www.everydayhero.com.au/glen_hammermeister 

No comments:

Post a Comment