Thursday 21 July 2011

Day 58: Forster

As you may or may not know the weather has tourned pretty bad down here. BOM issued severe weather warnings for NSW coastal waters. With 35knot winds, damagin 4-5m seas and heavy rainfall I've decided to delay my departure from Forster until Saturday. I'll try to make up some extra ground when the weather fines.

In the mean time I though I would provide you with some info on some really exciting work is Oxfam Australia is doing in Timor Leste'. Last year some friends and I travelled to Timor to volunteer our teaching skills for the local people. Our students raanged from 13years old to 50 years old. Many children and adults have received very little / very disrupted education as a result of the Indonesian invasion in 1975. I was overwhelmed by the desire of children and adult alike to learn so that that can improve their lives. My heart was trully touched by the local people so much so that my time in Timor inspired my to take up my Walk Against Want.

I'll tell a few more stories about my time in Timor but for now provide you with some information about work Oxfam is currently undertaking in Timor. I can assure you the work Oxfam does make a world of difference. Your donations could go to support projects like this in Timor

elihoods

For more info on Oxfam's work check out their website at http://www.oxfam.org.au/
You can donate by following the link:
www.everydayhero.com.au/glen_hammermeister or

By calling Oxfam Australia on 1800 088 110.

Any donation is great or small is sincerely appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment