Friday 8 July 2011

Day 37: South West Rocks to Hat Head

After the mammoth day of walking from Scotts Head and having a few ticks join me for the ride I wasn't feeling all that great. I decided to stay at the rocks and recover.




The following day I rose early and made for Trial Bay. I reached the bay as the sun began to unveil a magnificent sight. An old granite fortress appeared atop of the hill. From this vantage point I had stunning views of Trial Bay all the way north to Nambucca Heads. Sitting here gazing at the northern coastline I began to realise just how far I had walked. Looking at my journey on a map the distance becomes meaningless but having the ability to see with my own eyes the ground I've covered gave me a real appreciation of the distance. The fortress perched high on the hill was in fact the remnants of Trial Bay Gaol which was built in the 1800's to house convicts. As WWI unraveled it then became home for some 200 Australian German's who were of course a high risk of being spies.


Trial Bay Gaol

Trial Bay Gaol



The latest inmate


Released on probation from Trial Bay Gaol, I followed a designated walking track to smoky Cape. It was a grade 4 walk with a steep never ending rock and root staircase ascent. The heart rate started to soared. The heart itself began thumping so hard it felt like it was beating on the wall of my chest. Calf and thigh muscles burned. But with several breaks to catch my breath I did make it to the top. Despite being a difficult track the surrounds were stunning.  Views south along the rocky coast along with huge 300 year old grass trees were awe inspiring. During the walk I was joined by members of the Lake Macquarie Bushwalking Club. The company was wonderful! Thanks to Pam and Colleen who each donated $50 straight out of their purses. Other members of the club also generously donated to the walk. In situations like this I'm lost for words by the generosity and support of people like Pam and Colleen. The track to Smoky Cape wound up and down several ridges along the coastline. After 15 or so kilometers I made it to Smoky Cape Light House.


My old mate: Mr. R.B. Black Snake




It was about 230pm when I arrived at the light house and I remembered the Ranger from Trial Bay Gaol saying that due to the distance I wouldn't make it to Hat Head today. The beach that lay ahead was a 27km stretch of sand. I was determined to make it to Hat Head regardless of how long it took. Averaging 5km/hr I calculated that I would arrive in Hat Head some 6hrs later.


Heart Attack Hill


As night fell I had no way of gauging distance or walking speed. Determined to reach my destination in time I found new reserves of energy and really began to hasten the gait. A light flickered in the distant night giving me some idea of my destination. To save time I decided not to stop for any breaks. I powered on for at least 3hrs before my enthusiasm started to fizzle out. To shift my mind away from wishing I was already at my destination I began reciting my times tables up to 16. As nerdy as it sounds, this little trick was amazing and it gave my mind something completely different to focus on all the while I was trudging ever closer to the Hat Head.





I was truly amazed to find myself walking off the beach and into town at 730pm. A whole hour before I had scheduled. Not bad I thought. After a 47km day starting at 530am and finishing at 730pm its safe to say I slept pretty well.


A view of Hat Head from Smoky Light House


Smoky Light House.
Don't forget to donate by:
Calling Oxfam Australia on 1800 088 110 and mention my walk or,
Follow this link: http://www.everydayhero.com.au/glen_hammermeister 

No comments:

Post a Comment