Friday 8 July 2011

Day 38: Hat Head to Crescent Head

Leaving the little town of Hat Head I met Paul, a local of hat head who was just about to start his morning walk. I took up his offer to give me a guided tour of the headlands and beaches south of the town and lucky I did for his local knowledge saved me from taking a dead end track that I surely would have walked down if he were not there. Back on the beach I was looking forward to getting to Crescent Head.




I made it three quarters of the way down the beach to unexpectedly find a deep tennon creek gushing out to sea. It was far too deep and fast to cross at the beach so I tried following its banks upstream where I could see a bridge but again I was confronted with another deep water arm branching off the main waterway. With all of the rainfall NSW experienced in the lat 2 weeks the entire sand dune system had been turned into a vast swamp. Despite turning around tracking north and trying to use every 4WD track my maps showed to cross the swamp I was eventually forced to walk all the way back go the headlands and out onto the main road to make it into town. Trying so many times in vain to cross the swamp certainly tested the patience, motivation and spirits. But I soon learnt that there is no point getting upset or angry. Like it or lump it I had to play with the cards I was dealt.




I eventually made it to crescent head. A big thanks to Desiree from the Holiday Park who provided me with a complimentary night in a cabin. My hat goes off to Desiree for her help particularly considering that she was the first manager of any caravan park I had visited to offer me some kind of support. I really do appreciate the generosity. Such hospitality makes it easy to decided where to stay if/when I visit crescent heads again! Thanks Desiree and Jenny!


Don't forget to donate by:
Calling Oxfam Australia on 1800 088 110 and mention my walk or,
Follow this link: http://www.everydayhero.com.au/glen_hammermeister 

No comments:

Post a Comment